Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Experiment: liseron d'eau

liseron d’eau is the french word for a Filipino favorite vegetable known as kangkong, in English it is known as swamp cabbage or river spinach which sounds very unappetizing and I think does not do justice to the delicious vegetable that kangkong really is, so for the sake of this article I’d rather use the Filipino term or the french term which sounds so sophisticated LOL :)


Anyway, I am a food fanatic, I told my husband before, that I would rather use our credit card to buy delicious food to eat a sumptuous meal, than to buy any clothes or shoes or bags or whatever. Thats usually a topic we argue about because I love eating, and my husband does too, but when it comes to spending money he would rather buy something tangible rather than buying a hefty meal.


Today budget is really tight, I only have a few Pesos left in my wallet that I need to stretch till the end of the month, and I hate being on a budget because it ruins my desire to buy tons of food. So today, being on a budget and all, and craving for vegetables I decided to buy the ever so cheap liseron d’eau otherwise known as kangkong.


I wanted to eat kangkong, but I don’t want to do the ordinary kangkong with bagoong, nor the adobong kangkong. I wanted a liseron d’eau dish that tastes different but will taste somewhat familiar enough for everyone in my household to love. So I decided to use only 4 additional ingredients to go with my liseron d’eau.


I used:


2 Cloves of Garlic - Skinned and minced
2 Teaspoonful Salted Butter - I use Magnolia
2 Tablespoons of Sesame Oil
5-6 Tablespoons of Oyster Sauce - you can use more if you prefer


and ofcourse


2 rolls of Fresh liseron d’eau - cut the leaves and some of the softer stems


The Technique:


I boiled around 2 liters of water, and when the water was boiling hot, I dropped the liseron d’eau to boil for around 2 minutes, drained the water and washed the blanched liseron d’eau in fresh running water until it is no longer hot.


I set aside the liseron d’eau and prepared the “sauce”


On a hot pan I melted the Salted butter and sautéed the minced garlic until its crispy and golden brown, added the 2 tablespoons of Sesame Oil and the 6 tablespoons of Oyster Sauce once the mixture is slightly cooked I added the blanched liseron d’eau in the mixture and cooked for 3-4 minutes. If the sliseron d’eau still seems a bit dry you can add more oyster sauce and sesame oil until you feel it is the right amount of sauce for your liking.


And this is how my Garlic liseron d’eau in Sesame Oil and Oyster Sauce dish looked like after cooking.


   

I was a bit nervous to try the dish at first because I didn’t taste it while I was cooking but once I did I thought it was delectable and delicious, I couldn’t stop eating. Even our yaya loved it and we finished the whole dish. And now I am stuffed and blogging about a great new experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails