Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Blue Ribbon - Stop Child Abuse

blue ribbonDecorate your web pages with Blue Ribbons this month, to show your support for Stopping Child Abuse:


A friend from Fluff-friends gave me this message:


An average of 4 children die everyday as a result of child abuse or neglect. In the United States, 1 in every 58 children is abused or neglected (more than 1.25 million children). More than half of those children are victims of neglect, where basic needs aren’t getting met. The rest are victims of physical, sexual, and emotional abuse.

April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month. Blue is the color associated with child abuse prevention and awareness. These wings represent every child who has ever been/is being/may be abused and/or neglected. We need to do everything we can to give these beautiful, innocent children a voice. 

If you’d like to show your support, please put these wings in your habitat for the duration of the month, and leave your link on my wall, so I can come and visit you. If you’d like more information on child abuse prevention, visit this website: http://www.childwelfare.gov/preventing/preventionmonth/. Thank you! xxx

And I am Reposting an article from FUNKYTOWN 


 According to wikipedia, “in the U.S.A., a Blue Ribbon Campaign against child abuse originated in the spring of 1989 when Bonnie Finney of Virginia tied a blue ribbon to her car antenna, as tribute to her three year old grandson, Michael Bubba Dickinson, who died at the hands of his abusive father. The blue color of the ribbon symbolizes the color of bruises.”


Sad to say that child abuse, which may cause serious injury to the child and may even result in death, happens in all cultural, ethnic, and income groups. The child abuse statistic in USA shows that an estimated 906,000 children are victims of abuse & neglect every year. The rate of victimization is 12.3 children per 1,000 children.


I know this is horrific to read and see, but if it helps to stop child abuse, we must all pass it on.


Here’s a poem:





BLUE RIBBON AGAINST CHILD ABUSE

My name is Sarah
I am but three,
my eyes are swollen
I cannot see.
I must be stupid,
I must be bad,
what else could have made
my daddy so mad?I wish I were better,
I wish I weren’t ugly,
then maybe my Mommy
would still want to hug me.I can’t speak at all,
I can’t do a wrong
or else I’m locked up
all the day long.When I awake I’m all alone
the house is dark
my folks aren’t home.When my Mommy does come
I’ll try and be nice,
so maybe I’ll get just
one whipping tonight.




 

Don’t make a sound!
I just heard a car
my daddy is back
from Charlie’s Bar.I hear him curse
my name he calls
I press myself
against the wall.I try and hide
from his evil eyes
I’m so afraid now
I’m starting to cry.He finds me weeping
he shouts ugly words,
he says its my fault
that he suffers at work.


 


He slaps me and hits me
and yells at me more,
I finally get free
and I run for the door. He’s already locked it
and I start to bawl,
he takes me and throws me
against the hard wall.


I fall to the floor
with my bones nearly broken,
and my daddy continues
with more bad words spoken.






‘I’m sorry!’ I scream


but its now much too late
his face has been twisted
into unimaginable hate.


The hurt and the pain
again and again
oh please God, have mercy!
oh please let it end!


And he finally stops
and heads for the door,
while I lay there motionless
sprawled on the floor.


My name is Sarah
and I am but three,
tonight my daddy
murdered me.


*~*~*AGAINST CHILD ABUSE*~*~*




As individuals and community members, we have the power to prevent child abuse and keeps kids safe and families strong. So, it’s our duty to pass this poem on as a Blue Ribbon Against Child Abuse!


Again, Support the cause, decorate your sites, whether it is facebook or friendster, Multiply, Tumblr - Let people know about child abuse. Let people be aware so we can prevent children from dying because of maltreatments of adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails