Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sophie Kinsella's - Twenties Girl

Book CoverAfter so many years, I was finally able to buy a new book. Actually Noel (My husband) bought me a book in Harris in Jurong Point Mall in Singapore. It was one of his gifts for me for visiting him there. At first I was very reluctant to let him buy me a book because A. Books, Clothes and Food were more expensive there and B. I thought I can just download a PDF Version. Then I realized, I will buy this book sooner or later anyway, because I have a collection of Sophie Kinsella Books, yes, I adore her to bits, so I let noel buy me the book. Sophie’s books are always Fascinating and Hilarious, always light and very easy to read. Sophie is the Author of the Book Series Shop-a-holic , and my sister (Tiggy) and I loved her even before the movie was released, and forgive me for saying the brutal truth that the movie was nothing compared to the book. Did you know that Sophie Kinsella’s Shop-a-holic was the first book that I read that made me really laugh out loud, Her writing is amazing! and her humor is captivating. Anyway so I bought this book in Singapore, during my Third or Fourth day there, but I promised myself that I wouldn’t read it while I was in SG because I wanted to spend every possible second with my husband. So I read it on the plane during my flight back home to the Philippines.


In between my sobs and my tears, not because of the book, but because I am leaving my husband alone in Singapore, while my daughter (Nike) and myself will go back to the lonely and unorganized country, Sophie’s new book kept me entertained and pre-occupied enough to forget my miseries.


I wasn’t expecting The Twenties Girl to be as good as Shop-a-holic because Rebecca Bloomwood is my ultimate favorite fictional character, but Sadie and Lara’s tandem really went close to Rebecca’s pedestal in my opinion. 


The book is not just funny and entertaining, but when you think about the actual story and how it ended, it will make you realize that we often take for granted the people around us, and when they are gone thats when you feel sorry that you have not given that person/s the chance to get to know you or you haven’t taken the opportunity to get to know that person a little better. It shows you the value of knowing your family, take time to know where you came from, what your roots are, know your history and you might be surprised at how similar you and the people around you are.


At the start of the book, Sophie Focused on the fun and the hilarious moments of Lara and Sadie. It was light. And the story will keep a smile plastered on your face. It will even make you wish you are haunted by a ghost yourself, because of the perks that was illustrated in the book.


Towards the end, I feel Lara’s sadness and reluctance in completing her task, Sadie’s unfinished business. At first I thought it was her selfishness, that she only wanted Sadie around because it benefited her in so many ways, but Sophie was able to illustrate that Lara has grown accustomed to having Sadie around because she fell in love with her as a person, Sadie has become her greatest friend.


What this book taught me is that I should not let time pass to get to know anyone and everyone around me, not to take people for granted because not everyone is like Lara, who was given a second chance to get to know her great Aunt Sadie.


I would recommend this book to everyone I know, even to those I don’t know. If you are reading this blog, I suggest you go to the nearest bookstore and grab yourself a copy of ALL Sophie Kinsella’s book, and you will know why I have fallen madly in love with her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails